Re: [Foucault-L] Surveiller Et Punir translation

I don't think he was inciting us to defend society in 1976 either but as
you say interpretation is a question.

Arianna

The form of the imperative and the form of the bare infinitive (without
> 'to') are identical in English - and identical to most present tense forms
> are the same, with the exception of third person singular. So it's a
> question of interpretation. Given the infinitives in the original French,
> think infinitives are the most parsimonious solution in the English. The
> imperative doesn't quite make sense here, does it? He's not enjoining us
> discipline and punish...
> Tim
>

> On 9/5/09 12:52 AM, "ari@xxxxxxxx" <ari@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I interpret the verbs as being in the imperative tense.
>>
>>> The verbs in 'Discipline and Punish' are both infinitives, not present
>>> tense
>>> verbs. English has two infinitive forms, with and without 'to'; words
>>> like
>>> 'can', 'must', etc require the bare infinitive as it is called,
>>> otherwise
>>> the 'infinitive without 'to''. So from the grammatical point of view
>>> we
>>> could have had 'Survey and Punish', though of course there are
>>> objections
>>> 'survey' on other grounds, as various people have already pointed out.
>>> Tim

>>> --
>>> Professor Tim McNamara
>>> Discipline Chair, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
>>> School of Languages and Linguistics
>>> The University of Melbourne
>>> Victoria 3010
>>> Australia