Re: [Foucault-L] The Subject and Power

According to Dits et Ecrits (vol. IV p. 222) the English text of The Subject and Power was completely translated into French (by F.Durand- Bogaert).
So the French version in Dits et Ecrits is not the original source; this is the English text that appeared as afterword in the Dreyfus-Rabinow book (and in Critical Inquiry 8 (summer 1982)).
So,the EW translation is a translation of a translation.

According to the note at the beginning of that Afterword, the second part of The Subject and Power = "Why Study Power?" was translated by Leslie Sawyer. So there must be some manu- or typoscript of it in French, but manuscripts of Foucault may not be published as such. Perhaps, Leslie Sawyers can explain what Foucault's French text truly said.

It seems also very plausible to me that the French translator made use of the manuscript by translating |guiding the possibility of conduct | into | <<conduire des conduites>>|,since |possibility of | is not translated at all, and the French quotation marks are added. These are clearly a radical change of the original English text.

In my opinion the French translation of |putting in order| as |amenager | is not very lucky; it is too soft and does not express the gouvernmental connotation, to which Foucault refers a few lines later in his text. To me |putting in order| fits very well.

yours
Machiel Karskens